Saturday, October 24, 2009

Thoughts

I read a very stirring presentation by the amazing Dallin H. Oaks that he gave to a group of BYU students about our religious freedoms being threatened. With all the "threats" out there today of war, economic collapse, nuclear attack, etc., it's refreshing to have a source that you can really identify with and say, "If this man says it's a threat, then you KNOW he knows." Thus the importance of continuing revelation.

The entire presentation has a link on the lds.org homepage right now, but the part that fueled my fire were the comments about the Proposition 8 in California. A pro-gay rights spokesperson said this about our Church's position on marriage: “I’m not intending it to harm the religion. I think they do wonderful things. Nicest people. . . . My single goal is to get them out of the same-sex marriage business and back to helping hurricane victims.”


This was on my mind this morning as I was driving, and I saw a firetruck parked near a home. There was no fire, and i'm not sure what their purpose was at that moment, but the scene that flashed through my mind was kind of a Sesame Street type....when the fireman is rescuing a kitten from a tree for the distressed old lady.


The analogy came immediately afterwards: what this man was asking us, as a church, to do, is like asking the firemen to stop trying to put out fires, and rescue more kittens.




2 comments:

  1. That is such a good way to put it. I also loved that talk, especially how it showed how our freedom of religion really is threatened. Things are not going to get easier in the years to come, and we will definitely have more fires to put out - we just have to be brave enough to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your blog looks great! And I think your analogy is great. It's saddening to hear negative things about the Gospel, and you wonder why people make such a stink about our faith. To me, it's just reiterating what I already know...the Gospel is true!! If it weren't, Satan wouldn't be trying so hard to give it a negative rap.

    ReplyDelete