Saturday, October 10, 2009

Silly old men

I went to get gas this morning and pulled up at the same time as a cute old man (we're talking like 75). He smiled at me and followed me into the store. I gave the cashier my $25 (trying to stick to a cash system---no more credit and minimize debit), went back out and began pumping. The gentleman came out a minute later, saw my license plate and said "Wyoming, huh?" I smiled and just gave a "Yeah :)" Then he said, "You're no bigger than a minute, but sure are adorable." I'm sure my face lit up, I gave a little laugh and said thanks. He wished me a good day and waved goodbye as he drove off.

These little moments just make my day. But they are also the thing that make it hard for me to ever visualize, or think of myself as an adult, a grown up. So much of the time I feel like a 35 year old, stuck in a 14 year-old's body.

I haven't really been adversely affected by it yet I think, except that it's hard to feel like I could ever be a role model for anyone over the age of 12. I don't think people see me and think of me as the strong, independent, mature person that I want to be known as. It's more like a surprise when I do something mature, because I feel like I'm only compared to teenagers. Or maybe that's only what I perceive. And I do very much believe that my perception can be extremely warped. Not sure how to fix something like that.

Oh well. I need to go read or something. My house is clean, my dishes done, my laundry caught up, we're all packed for our trip, my baby's sleeping, and my husband is out teaching with the missionaries. I've never felt so at a loss for something I SHOULD be doing!! :D And I L.O.V.E. it!

No comments:

Post a Comment